- Whole grain flour contains extra protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals that are found only in the bran and germ.
- Contain protective antioxidants in amounts near or exceeding those in fruits and vegetables.
- Can significantly lower your risk of chronic diseases.
- Multi-grain,” and “organic” are not necessarily whole grain.
- Foods containing whole grains will have the words “whole grain” followed by the name of the grain as one of the first ingredients.
- Make Half—or More— of Your Grains Whole.
- Eating grains fortified with folate, before and during pregnancy, helps prevent neural tube defects during fetal development.
- May reduce constipation.
- A serving of grain is one ounce. Some examples of one ounce are one slice of bread or five whole wheat crackers.
How do you incorporate whole grains into your lifestyle. Share with us here. Let us get a conversation started.